Geelong is one of Australia’s fastest-growing regional cities and offers attractive lifestyle options only 1 hour from Melbourne.
Geelong is a large waterfront regional city located 75km southwest of Melbourne. Geelong and its surrounding suburbs provide excellent options and value for money for both home buyers and investors. With significant infrastructure projects in place and planned for the future, together with excellent transport connections to Melbourne, the greater Geelong region is one of the fasting growing regional cities in Victoria.
It has a growing city foreshore precinct that is starting to thrive, a busy retail and food scene, excellent schools (both private and public), job opportunities in new and growing industries, medical facilities and hospitals, art and culture, close proximity to beautiful beaches (Great Ocean Rd), and naturally less traffic than Melbourne! The expanding region and its rising popularity has resulted in a significant boom in housing developments around many areas.
Whether you are interested in a sea-change or tree-change or to take advantage of one of Australia’s best performing regional areas Geelong is definitely worth a second look.
Here are 8 reasons why Geelong is an excellent option for buyers:
- Geelong is Victoria’s second-largest city and one of Australia’s fastest-growing property markets – the region has become a hot-spot for property buying and there’s no sign of that changing, with significant gentrification particularly in the inner suburbs.
- Geelong’s residential population is rising significantly with noticeably more Melbourne city residents moving to Geelong in response to the value for money (more ‘bang for your buck’) and substantial lifestyle benefits. Increased competition for properties is driving property prices north.
- The whole region is well known for its more relaxed lifestyle with excellent schools (private and public) and amenities.
- Geelong has considerable development potential, having significant growth in a range of sectors including government, technology, manufacturing, health/medical care, education and also creative industries. Its unique position of offering a comprehensive range of infrastructure assets not commonly found in a regional centre – road, rail, sea and air will continue to strengthen its appeal to different business sectors. For example, Geelong Port will be the new home of the Spirit of Tasmania by the end of 2022.
- The travel time to central Melbourne is now comparable to some of the city’s outer suburbs, making Geelong a viable option for many. With predictions that larger amounts of the Melbourne workforce will continue to work from home full-time or part-time post-pandemic, it offers commuters a great chance to enjoy both worlds.
- Geelong is the gateway to the world-renowned coastline of south-west Victoria via the Great Ocean Road. This diverse natural beauty attracts millions of tourists each year.
- Geelong has major infrastructure and transformation plans for the short, medium and long term. This includes significant spend by the Federal and State Government on improving rail services including a plan for a fast light rail between Geelong and Melbourne and a revitalising Geelong plan with three levels of government funding to make the region an even better place to live, work and invest.
- Geelong continues to show strong future growth potential across the entire region.
Our team have a passion for this ever-changing and often complex property market. We’d love the opportunity to help you locate and purchase your ideal property in Geelong or surrounding areas. Contact us today to discuss your needs and or read more about our local Geelong Buyer Agents service here.